It’s a plus of being a music, er, recommender, that you get to not only share your taste and hopefully influence other people’s, but on occasion, you get to make a genuine heart-felt connection with someone, simply through writing. After posting about Jeremiah Jae, L’Orange and my personal relationship with rap last week, Austin’s Plato III reached out to me, with a nice personal note and a link to his song. Often times, when you get an email like this, though it’s nice to note that someone took out the time to actually try and make it seem like they weren’t a robot, you get to the music and, well, the whole thing falls apart. Not so much for Plato III. His track Natalie Portman is a mellow, almost melancholy mix of breathy, non-stop flow with a sort of stretched out, ballad beat. In the wrong hands it could be Drake-light (and that’s light), but Plato III manages to stretch and bend and mix the potent sound of his voice with the twisting moan of the beat into something subtly psychedelic. It’s romantic, but as if you’d just dropped a horse-pill of Ketamine and were trying to get your legs untangled from the sheets. If anything, it’s promising, an acknowledgement of a new artists roots in the rap game, and his intention to do what he can to put his own personal stamp on it.
- Raised Eyebrows: 2016 Hangover (Randy) January 20, 2017
- Conor Oberst January 19, 2017
- Movie Breakdown: XXX: Return Of Xander Cage January 19, 2017
- Movie Breakdown: 20th Century Women January 19, 2017
- Show Of The Week January 18, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Making A Mixtape In 2013 (Randy) November 4, 2013
- The Suffers (Video Premiere) January 30, 2014
- Sound Samples: The Sour Notes September 4, 2012
- Movie Breakdown: John Dies At The End (Noah) February 8, 2013
- Top 50 Songs Of 2012: Part 1 November 26, 2012
- Dan Corbin: It actually made the list of top 10 Austin albums ...
- Jim Osmer: Never heard of him but enjoying this right now. H...
- Gavin: Miike Snow has been a favorite of mine for years. ...
- Jay: Is it me or this an incredibly obscure list? I h...
- Jay: Man, that is is my sweet spot. Nice tune, great v...
2014 abram shook action bronson austin best of black books chvrches courtney barnett cymbals eat guitars dana falconberry diarrhea planet dum dum girls fidlar happy metal fun time hip hop hooray joanna gruesome metal mikal cronin movie breakdown obn IIIs parquet courts polica pos raised eyebrows royal forest run the jewels sad bastard music screaming females shivery shakes show of the week speedy ortiz tame impala tele novella terry malts that time of the month thee oh sees the men the sour notes throwback thursday top 50 top 50 songs trailers ty segall weekly movie news rundown white denim