SXSW is here! I don’t usually do any sort of party talk here at SOTO, but I have a bash this Sunday and I want you to be there! Once again it’s Austin Town Hall vs Side One Track One, and it’s happening at Hotel Vegas and Volstead. Last year we had a pretty healthy lineup, but for 2017 we wrangled in a whopping 30 bands (29 from Austin, 1 from France). It’s FREE and there’s no RSVP required. Come at 2pm, stay to 2am. Down below you’ll find the lineup and music for each band! Enjoy.
PS – No bonus recommendations today. Also, just so you know, the site will largely be in hibernation mode all next week. Film reviews will still be a go, but don’t expect much else otherwise until the festival is a wrap.
Let’s be real, if you’re a frequent visitor here at SOTO, then your weekend will surely be filled with Sound on Sound Fest. Created by the folks who once did Fun Fun Fun, the fest is taking place on the Sherwood Forest Faire grounds and has a lineup that features Explosions In The Sky, Run The Jewels, Purity Ring, White Lung, Beach House, Cursive, Diet Cig and tons of other bands that have been frequently shared on this blog. Neat. Eat it up.
If, however, you’re thinking you won’t be diving into the fest, then at least hit up these smaller gigs.
1) Mean Jolene’s Record Release Party on Thursday at Cheer Up Charlie’s with Summer Salt, Haybaby, The Bond Twins and Talkies. Go get yourself a copy of Mean Jolene’s debut album, Salty! It’s a good one.
2) Jess Williams’ Record Release Show on Friday at Cheer Up Charlie’s with Cross Record and Julian Neel. Go pickup a copy of Jess’ new album, Heart Song. I haven’t heard the whole thing yet, but I bet it’s good.
3) Birthday Club’s Album Release Party on Saturday Friday at Swan Dive with Lowin, Good Talk and Big Coat. Go snatch up a copy of Birthday Club’s new EP, Lighten Up! It’s good.
BONUS Show Recommendations:
*Listings in italics are Sound on Sound Fest “Late Knight” shows. Those are FREE with a festival wristband!
- Audacity, Pleasers, Nike, Cheap Fur, Secret Bad Boys at Hotel Vegas
- Jacuzzi Boys at The Sidewinder
- Star Parks, Hospital Ships, Wildfires, Emily Beanblossom at Cheer Up Charlies
- Death From Above 1979, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Deap Valley at Stubb’s
Thursday: - Guided By Voices, Diet Cig at the Mohawk - Residual Kid, Slow at the Mohawk - Shannon and the Clams, Que Pasa? at Barracuda - White Fang, No Parents, Birth Defects at Barracuda - American Sharks, War on Women, Body Pressure, Los Viejos at Beerland - Cursive, Creepoid, Jess Williamson, Chippr Jones, Pop Unknown at The Sidewinder - Empress Of, Hunny, Black Books at Empire Control Room
- Otis The Destroyer, Sounds Del Mar, The Head at Hotel Vegas
Saturday: - Special guest, Special guest, The Gotobeds at the Mohawk
- The Rotten Mangos, The Stacks, Roar Shack, Picnic Lightning at The Swan Dive
- Garret Klahn (of Texas Is The Reason), Mountain Time (Chris Simpson of Mineral) at the Spiderhouse Ballroom
- Adele at the Erwin Center
My good buddy Nathan (from Austin Town Hall) and me via my radio show, 101X Homegrown, have a rad gig happening this Saturday at Barracuda. It’s a total Back To School Bash with a loaded bill that features Shivery Shakes, Basketball Shorts (creators of one of my fav albums this year – Hot And Ready), Summer Salt, Young Girls, Mean Jolene, Rose Selavy and Plantation Band. What a lineup! And the best part is that it’ll only cost you $5. That’s right, for $5 you’ll get to see seven of my favorite bands out of Austin (and Houston). You’d be super silly to miss it.
By the way, if $5 is just way too pricey for you, then shoot me a note HERE with the subject TUITION IS EXPENSIVE AND I’M BROKE. On the day of the show I’ll randomly draw someone for a pair of guest list spots.
PS – If you’re inclined to see me twice this week, I’ll be at the Oasis on Friday for a show I booked for 93.7 KLBJ. It’s FREE and you’ll get to see A. Sinclair, Nic Armstrong And The Thieves and PT Banks.
Thanks to Pulsr for sponsoring this week’s column! For those of you who don’t know, Pulsr is a social discovery application meant to answer the age-old question “What should we do tonight?” By using personalized content and a live social media feed, Pulsr helps locals get the most out of living in Austin by showing the best live music, trendy restaurants, happy hour specials and more. Pulsr aims to help locals get out and live by joining with others to explore all Austin has to offer. The app is available for download for iOS and Android in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
BONUS Show Recommendations:
You can find each show on Pulsr by clicking on the first band.
Barracuda is the place to be this week, as all of its show are FREE! If you only have the energy to get out for one night though, then my recommendation is that you head to the recently opened club on Saturday for The Zoltars, Party Girl, Basketball Shorts and Mean Jolene. All four bands have super catchy tunes and each act is just noisy enough to keep you moving so that you don’t get cold. Now get out there and have some fun.
BONUS Show Recommendations:
- Think No Think, Sweat Lodge, Hard Dads, Magic Rockers of Texas at Barracuda
- Tanlines at the Mohawk
- Emily Wolfe, Zac Kellog at Stubb’s - Total Abuse, Xetas, Skeleton at Barracuda
- Josh Ritter & the Royal City Band, Elephant Revival at ACL Live
- Ringo Deathstarr, Annabelle Chairlegs, Hollow Trees at Barracuda
- Booher, The Villas, Gloves Intl., Young Girls at Hotel Vegas
- Ruby Fray, The Sour Notes, Que Pasa? at the Mohawk
- Armstrong Leigh, Blue Healer at Lamberts
- The Return of Weird City with Hermit Kingdom, Crew54, Ben Buck BeatBox vs. McNasty Tie Dye, LNS Crew, Chief and The Doomsday Device, Magna Carda, KB the Boo Bonic, Scuare, Protextor/P-Tek, Anya, Brain (of SubKulture Patriots), No1mportant, Underdogz (Phraynkh P – Frank P. x Mainstreem), Feral the Earthworm, Big Mic Pereida, C.I.G, Sertified, Dat Boy Supa, Ruler Why, Clemits, Jae Jax Da Menace, Retr0gRaDe (Retr05pect + RuDi Devino), OT23, LaJIT, Tone Royal, Keith Corona, Nate, Space Camp Death Squad, DJ Recspect, Marcelandrie, DJ Burnzy at the Spiderhouse Ballroom