Back in October of last year I came across Make It Better, a song from newcomer Hazel English, and I instantly got hooked on it. Since then I’ve been a big fan of hers, so of course I was pretty pumped when I got an email about her impending double EP, Just Give In/Never Going Home (due May 12 via Polyvinyl and Marathon Artists). The former is a set of six new songs, and the latter is actually her EP from last year. Neat! Today I have the first single/video. Can’t wait for more! Enjoy.
Tag Archives: hazel english
December 1, 2016
And the list continues on. Enjoy.
PS – I got a ton of take down notices, so you’ll have to listen via Spotify.
20) :Thee Oh Seees – Plastic Plant: Out of all the music that Thee Oh Sees released in 2016 (two albums worth, to be exact), this track is my favorite. Total jam.
19) :King Khan – Never Hold On: The normally noisy King Khan contributed this gem to the soundtrack for The Invaders. He should do more slow burners.
18) :Hazel English – Make It Better: Here’s one that I’ve been glued to since I first heart it. There’s just something hypnotic about Hazel English.
17) :Chook Race – Sometimes: If you’re all about jangly pop, then this one from Chook Race is a must-listen for you.
16) :Tangerine – Sunset: This infectious pop tune from Tangerine is totally something that more people should have been yammering about in 2016.
15) :Terry Malts – Used To Be: I’ve jammed the hell out of this Terry Malts song. Those guys sure know how to write a hook.
14) :Lucy Dacus – I Don’t Wanna Be Funny Anymore: I believe this one from Lucy Dacus was actually put out in late 2015, but I didn’t catch it until the re-release this year. So it counts! Anyhow, it’s a stellar track that drips with sincerity.
13) :Car Seat Headrest – Does It Feel Good (To Say Goodbye): This song by Car Seat Headrest is from the soundtrack for a short film called Loudini. It makes me want so sit on a porch somewhere with a bottle of whiskey.
12) :Nothing – ACD (Abscessive Compulsive Disorder): If you still need to get in some quality shoegazing before 2016 fully comes to a close, I highly recommend doing it with this Nothing song blasting in your headphones.
11) :Fujiya And Miyagi – Serotonin Rushes: You’re dead if you can listen to this Fujiya And Miyagi track and not want to dance or at least smile.
October 27, 2016
Only yesterday did I become aware of Oakland’s Hazel English, and I’m already borderline-obsessed. Her songs are hypnotic, and I just get swept up in them. Down below you’ll find her latest single in mp3 form, plus videos for every track off of her EP. Expect to like all of it. Enjoy.
:Hazel English – Make It Better:
The Never Going Home EP is available now via Bandcamp.