Here’s the end of my “songs I liked a whole lot this year” list. Enjoy.
PS – Just a reminder that there are no Austin acts to be found in any part of this list. I’m going to be doing a two-part year-ender via 101X Homegrown (my radio show) that will detail my favorite local tracks. Look for Part 1 to air on 12/11, and then Part 2 on 12/18.
PPS – I got a ton of take down notices, so you’ll have to listen via Spotify.
10) :P.O.S. – Wave (Featuring Moncelas Boston And Sophia Eris): P.O.S. didn’t put out an album this year, but he did release a handful of singles. This slick-sounding effort finished the year as my favorite of the bunch.
09) :White Lung – Kiss Me When I Bleed: White Lung’s Mish Barber-Way commands all with her vocal work in this heavy track that aims to pummel. Turn it up.
08) :Chance The Rapper – Angels (Featuring Saba): Chance The Rapper and Saba are as pleasant as can be in this joyous track – it’s infectious stuff.
07) :Whitney – Golden Days: This song from Whitney was a big go-to for me every time I needed a breather in 2016. It’s so damn accessible and laid back.
06) :Coathangers – Squeeki Tiki: Admittedly, a part of me couldn’t pass up the opportunity to put a squeaky toy-enhanced track in the top 10 of my year-end song list. Also, it’s scuzzy and creative and perfect and deserving of everyone’s love. Thanks for the jam, Coathangers!
05) :Shura – What’s It Gonna Be?: This one from Shura is easily my favorite straight up pop tune of 2016. It may also be the winner of this year’s “song that John poorly sang-a-long to the most” award.
04) :Cymbals Eat Guitars – Have a Heart: If I were to rank out every Cymbals Eat Guitars song, I’d be tempted to put this one in the top spot. What a track.
03) :Frank Ocean – Solo: This is one seriously hypnotic effort from Frank Ocean. That fella is a hell of a crooner.
01) :Kanye West – Ultralight Beam: Is this song absolutely ridiculous? Yes. I mean, it’s Kanye West, so of course it’s ridiculous. It also happens to be amazing though, and I love it. Definitely the song I blasted the most in 2016 … probably because it was the most ridiculous year ever and I needed the right song to accompany me through it.