It’s always a bummer to hear a band, think “wow, what a great band”, and then read in the same place where you just recently discovered said band, that, well, this is their last album. DSTVV, the band in question, refers to themselves as “industrial grungegaze” which to my ears sounds like a jagged pillow of 90s flannel-rock stretched a little wider, before being kicked in the ass with some pounding drum-machine riffs. Lead singer Joel Cusumano, a member of Cocktails, Talkies and Stalls – new staples of the San Francisco scene – might very well be the definition of disaffected monotone. But with all the thrashing and guitar sliding going around behind it, the simplicity of it, the affected boredom, feels like a lifeline, something to grab on to while you’re enjoying the brain-smashing drums and razor-blade tipped cloud of music floating around you. And as happy as I am to have discovered DSTVV and their musical equivalent of, happily, rolling around in a pile of very pretty, very sharp metal, it’s bittersweet, as their newest release, Target Demographic, will also be their last. Hello DSTVV, goodbye DSTVV, it was nice to get sonically mauled by you.
- 101X Homegrown Podcast January 16, 2017
- Top Films Of 2016 January 13, 2017
- Quin Galavis (Dan) January 13, 2017
- Happy Metal Fun Time (Chuck) January 13, 2017
- The Rural Alberta Advantage January 12, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Making A Mixtape In 2013 (Randy) November 4, 2013
- The Suffers (Video Premiere) January 30, 2014
- Sound Samples: The Sour Notes September 4, 2012
- Movie Breakdown: John Dies At The End (Noah) February 8, 2013
- Top 50 Songs Of 2012: Part 1 November 26, 2012
- Dan Corbin: It actually made the list of top 10 Austin albums ...
- Jim Osmer: Never heard of him but enjoying this right now. H...
- Gavin: Miike Snow has been a favorite of mine for years. ...
- Jay: Is it me or this an incredibly obscure list? I h...
- Jay: Man, that is is my sweet spot. Nice tune, great v...
2014 abram shook action bronson austin best of black books chvrches courtney barnett cymbals eat guitars dana falconberry diarrhea planet dum dum girls fidlar happy metal fun time hip hop hooray joanna gruesome metal mikal cronin movie breakdown obn IIIs parquet courts polica pos raised eyebrows royal forest run the jewels sad bastard music screaming females shivery shakes show of the week speedy ortiz tame impala tele novella terry malts that time of the month thee oh sees the men the sour notes throwback thursday top 50 top 50 songs trailers ty segall weekly movie news rundown white denim