There’s a defiant indie-streak cutting its way across The Bay Area these days. And I don’t mean just music produced independently, but rather, a strong collection of local acts which embody both the lo-fi sound and the ramshackle, anything could happen, energy of the glory days of indie rock. Brown Bags, a local outfit hailing from the wine-soaked terra of the North Bay, blends an almost strung out folk twang with a just a dash of bombastic, room-filling, drudge-style hardcore. It isn’t exactly a combination you’d think would work outside of a winery open mic, but with the tangled vocals of the two singers, creating a strange, warbling bridge, the music takes on a dense, almost sinister tone. More than this, Brown Bags isn’t comfortable just knocking out a two and half minute piece of indie rock thievery, choosing instead to craft a nearly six minute musical journey from quiet and twangy, to big and loud and lo-fi and back again. Summoner is a song that plays out with intention. A full, foundation shaking bit of music that harkens back to a time when music could still be challenging.
- 101X Homegrown Podcast April 24, 2017
- The War On Drugs April 24, 2017
- Movie Breakdown: Unforgettable April 21, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Choice Ra Cuts (Randy) April 21, 2017
- Movie Breakdown: The Lost City Of Z April 20, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Making A Mixtape In 2013 (Randy) November 4, 2013
- The Suffers (Video Premiere) January 30, 2014
- Sound Samples: The Sour Notes September 4, 2012
- Movie Breakdown: John Dies At The End (Noah) February 8, 2013
- Top 50 Songs Of 2012: Part 1 November 26, 2012
- Jay: You are correct - unfortunate band name, catchy tu...
- Jay: A little Sharon Van Etten usually goes a long way....
- Jay: I think I might prefer Right Fred Said to this....
- Jay: I like the song. I like the video more. The LA T...
- Jay: Nice track. Thanks for posting. Whitney is aw...
101X 101x homegrown 2014 action bronson austin best of black books chvrches cloud nothings courtney barnett cymbals eat guitars dana falconberry diarrhea planet fidlar happy metal fun time hip hop hooray metal mikal cronin movie breakdown obn IIIs parquet courts polica pos raised eyebrows royal forest run the jewels sad bastard music screaming females shivery shakes show of the week speedy ortiz tame impala tele novella tennis terry malts that time of the month thee oh sees the men throwback thursday top 50 top 50 songs trailers ty segall weekly movie news rundown white denim