Whenever I sit down to scribble some barely intelligible thoughts about music for John Laird and this here amazing site, I have to sit and think for a while. You know, think about what music from the Yay Area is really crack-a-lacking right now, what music fits my ever expanding brand-empire, you know the important stuff. Today though, as I was rolling to the dog park bumping some seriously loud hip-hop in my fresh-washed Volkswagen, I thought, “What if I threw caution out the window today? What if I just typed in Bay Area hip-hop, clicked the first link, and selected the first song on that first website?” You know like real gangster style. Real spontaneous style. Noah Sanders, the Motherf’n Spontaneous Gangster of Side One Track One. And that’s just what I did. I ended up on Thizzler.com (yeah Thizzler!) with the newest EP from local upstarts Blanco, Husalah, and Kokane blasting from my totally thugged out Mac Air. And guess what everyone? It’s really fucking good! I was thinking we might end up with a sweaty fat guy slow-talking over a bunch of triple-snares, but instead you get three very talented, very unique hip-hop artistes, rapping their asses off over a collection of beats that range from rain-drop sadness to grinding, Hendrix solos. The entire album is a treat, start to finish, and best off, it proves my point that randomly picking things off the internet is still the best way to do anything. Next time: the Spontaneous Gangster of Side One Track One types Bay Area Christian Music into Google. Be there!
- Movie Breakdown: Unforgettable April 21, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Choice Ra Cuts (Randy) April 21, 2017
- Movie Breakdown: The Lost City Of Z April 20, 2017
- EMA April 20, 2017
- Show Of The Week April 19, 2017
- Raised Eyebrows: Making A Mixtape In 2013 (Randy) November 4, 2013
- The Suffers (Video Premiere) January 30, 2014
- Sound Samples: The Sour Notes September 4, 2012
- Movie Breakdown: John Dies At The End (Noah) February 8, 2013
- Top 50 Songs Of 2012: Part 1 November 26, 2012
- Jay: You are correct - unfortunate band name, catchy tu...
- Jay: A little Sharon Van Etten usually goes a long way....
- Jay: I think I might prefer Right Fred Said to this....
- Jay: I like the song. I like the video more. The LA T...
- Jay: Nice track. Thanks for posting. Whitney is aw...
101X 101x homegrown 2014 action bronson austin best of black books chvrches cloud nothings courtney barnett cymbals eat guitars dana falconberry diarrhea planet fidlar happy metal fun time hip hop hooray metal mikal cronin movie breakdown obn IIIs parquet courts polica pos raised eyebrows royal forest run the jewels sad bastard music screaming females shivery shakes show of the week speedy ortiz tame impala tele novella tennis terry malts that time of the month thee oh sees the men throwback thursday top 50 top 50 songs trailers ty segall weekly movie news rundown white denim